The American Stroke Association specifically recommends intensive, multidisciplinary treatment. We know that the effects of a stroke are as unique as each of our patients. We are committed to changing our patients’ lives for the better. Our stroke rehabilitation program is a partnership between our patients and specialists to create a personalized treatment plan to help you achieve our goals.
Stroke rehabilitation at our inpatient rehabilitation hospitals is different. Through our history and expertise we strive to inspire the confidence to move forward after a stroke. We aim to deliver the best care for our patients and are committed to setting the standard in stroke rehabilitation.
At an inpatient rehabilitation hospital, you’ll receive at least three hours of therapy five days a week. Your team of speech, occupational and physical therapists will work with you on achieving your unique goals. Included in our therapy are daily activities such as bathing, laundry, cooking, personal hobbies and more. Our hospitals contain activities of daily living suites complete with bedrooms, kitchens and bathrooms to practice the skills you’ll rely on most when you return home.
By combining speech, occupational and physical therapy, your team of therapists will work with you on achieving your unique goals.
What's included in your stroke therapy?
Physical activities include:
• Motor-skill exercises to improve muscle strength and coordination.
• Speech therapy to improve speaking and swallowing.
• Mobility aid training for using a walker, canes, wheelchair or ankle brace.
• Spasticity therapy uses exercises to ease muscle tension and help you regain fuller range of motion.
• Activities of daily living allow patients to practice daily household and lifestyle tasks such dressing, cooking and driving.
Cognitive activities might include:
• Therapy can help you with lost cognitive abilities, such as memory, processing, problem-solving, social skills, judgment and safety awareness.
• Therapy can help you regain lost abilities in listening, writing and comprehension.
• Activities of daily living exercises to help patients relearn signatures, medication management and handling financies.
Technology is at the heart of many rehabilitation therapies. Encompass Health utilizes high-tech equipment and applies innovative and advanced technologies to our programs so patients receive the best care for their needs.